Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Scrub, Scrub, Scrub The Revit

Ni Hao!!!

Apparently this Revit thing isn't going away - as another cavalcade of terrible drawings crosses my threshold.  I would almost be impressed with the lack of fucks given when generating these drawings if it weren't for the fact that my OCD (read: minimal standards) refuses to allow me to issue shitty looking garbage.

That's a big part of what seems to be missing from the Revit equation.  So much time is spent attempting to convince it to work properly, that there is no time for quality control.  Combine that with the fact that many (if not most) Revitards barely have a passing understanding of their discipline, and you get some serious nonsense.

There's little doubt that after wasting several hours (and/or days) banging their heads into it, if Revit finally spits out something that remotely resembles what is needed to permit and build the building, then it's 'good the fuck enough' (which I assure you - it is not), and they aren't going to make the mistake of looking too closely at it.

I just had an AHJ comment on a project that we issued a little while ago (that someone else in our office did) that was caused in part by mistakes on the Architectural and Engineering drawings (some of which I would've probably caught if it had been my project).  I always rail about the incompetence displayed on any project that has 'typical' units - and especially regarding accessible units.

The Architect had apparently developed separate plans for the 'typical' units, as several of them did not match what was actually shown on the overall drawings.  Additionally, the accessible units inexplicably had both accessible and non-accessible bathrooms.  The Engineer was apparently unaware that even though one of the bathrooms wasn't 'handicap accessible', devices were still necessary in case a hearing/vision impaired individual was staying in the second bedroom.

Of course, the AHJ also came back and required devices on every single one of the 90+ decks in the entire building - which I had never actually seen before, but which we are obviously going to be getting a change order for.  Unfortunately this additional load is going to require fairly involved revisions to the drawings (simplified by the fact that I'm not trying to do it in Revit, because it's not as simple as 'recalculating' - it would be a complete redo from the ground up).

This literally came about while I was in the middle of writing this post today - which should give you an idea of the nature of my work.  I literally never know when something like this is going to come flying through - and I need to know that once I figure out a plan of action, I can fix my drawings and get them back out again - often the same day (regardless of how much of a clusterfuck someone has attempted to turn them into).

Additionally, I'm pulled off of whatever project I'm currently working on in order to fix somebody else's fuckups - and when I get back to my current project, I don't have to worry about whether or not I can jump right back in and knock it out with a quickness.  Hell, the guy who did that project had me showing him what to do - while also handling my own workload.

F**k Revit, Fuck Autodesk, Fuck Revitards, and Fuck The Dumb Shit.

Zaijian!

-S.F.

Next Time: ???

4 comments:

  1. keep it up. i have a hard time convincing people this blog isn't actually mine - and i'm an architect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to give you plausible deniability by claiming to have come from electrical engineering - but of course that's what an architect would do if they wanted to throw co-workers off the scent if they were writing an anti-Revit blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i appreciate the effort - they still think it's me.

    we will win this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll win when every vestige of Revit has been wiped from the Earth.

    ReplyDelete